- ISBN: 0593241002, 9780593241004
- Page count: 288
- Published: 2023-04-18
- Format: Hardcover
- Publisher: Convergent Books
- Author: Carley Summers
A gorgeous photography collection, featuring home interiors and profiles of the people who have transformed these spaces into sanctuaries, calling you to create your own sacred space
“This book is brimming with heart and healing, and it is a moody, visual feast that will leave you feeling full in the best way possible.”—Justina Blakeney, designer, author, and founder of Jungalow
Before she became an internationally renowned designer and photographer, Carley Summers suffered from alcoholism and addiction, spending nights in jail, the emergency room, and rehab. As someone who celebrates recovery today, she knows firsthand the importance of a warm and inviting home. Summers uses her life experience and her craft to ensure that the homes she photographs and designs are comforting, healing spaces to live and grow in.
Sacred Spaces takes readers on a beautifully photographed journey inside fourteen homes, from North Carolina and California to Canada, France, and Morocco, as Summers uncovers the vulnerable stories behind each one: a mother who uses her kitchen to heal her son with food, a woman who found her sanctuary after overcoming childhood abuse, and more. She even offers a tour of her mother’s home and her own. Along the way, each section identifies a type of space that people have created, including
• The Foundational Home, which features those who have created spaces on a solid foundation for a lasting legacy
• The Wandering Home, which highlights people who were lost in life, lost in travels, but never lost in their home
• The Cathartic Home, which showcases people who realize that when they cannot change the outside world, they can change the inside of their homes to bring comfort through renewal and restoration
This collection is a balm for those seeking refuge in a world fraught with struggle and heartache. Through stories of brokenness, hurt, and healing, Sacred Spaces invites readers to dream of the home that will set them free.